Play jazz piano with new facility and expression as Ray Santisi, one of the most revered educators at the Berklee College of Music – and mentor to Keith Jarrett, Diana Krall, Joe Zawinul, and thousands of others – reveals the pedagogy at the core of Berklee’s jazz piano curriculum. From beginning through advanced levels, Berklee Jazz Piano maps the school’s curriculum: a unique blend of theory and application that gives you a deep, practical understanding of how to play jazz. Concepts are illustrated by the accompanying practice audio, accessed online for streaming or download, where you’ll hear how one of the great jazz pianists and educators of our time applies these concepts to both jazz standards and original compositions, and how you can do the same.
You will learn:
• Jazz chords and their characteristic tension substitutions, in many voicings and configurations
• Modes and scales common in jazz
• Techniques for comping, developing bass lines, harmonizing melodies, melodizing harmonies, and improvisation
• Practice techniques for committing these concepts to your muscle memory
• Variations for solo and ensemble playing
• Advanced concepts, such as rhythmic displacement, approach-chord harmonization, and jazz counterpoint
PLEASE NOTE: Australian Piano Warehouse offers print music as an online order only item. We do not stock Print Music on display in our stores. We dispatch daily, with a focus on getting your order to you as quickly as possible.